Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Five Points of Pondering: Refreshing A Weary Soul


1. Resurrect your hope in the resurrection.
(1 Corinthians 15:50-58)

52b For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality….. 58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.”

Recently, texts like this one have spurred my heart to imagine the glory I will taste when Jesus returns. Paul reminds me that death is swallowed up in victory and that my body will be changed into a glorious one that will never perish. Cancer will have no dominion over me. Fear will have to place in my heart. My sin will die to holiness and righteousness, and I will be forever happy in Christ. Drink from texts like these often and you will live radically for Christ and your soul will not grow weary.

2. God has promised to make you competent for your task.
(2 Corinthians 3:4-5)

Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, 6who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.”

Just as our salvation is by grace and not of our works, so is the capability to minister to the world is not of our own. We do not rely on our own cunning ability to persuade or our physical strength to endure. We are made sufficient for every task by the will and grace of God. Therefore, go and do the work of God knowing He is at work and doing all that he desires; even if it looks as though you fail 90% of the time.

3. There is a fountain of joy in ministering to the saints in the mercy of God.
(2 Corinthians 4:1-5)

1Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart.”

In the last several months, in my weariness, I have had several opportunities to serve the downcast and ill hearted. On one occasion, a brother in the Lord had just gone through an incredibly invasive surgery removing cancer. As I sat and visited with him, I asked him how his spirit was. He looked at me and calmly said, “Good.” From that I gleaned an immense amount of hope. I worshiped God in spirit and truth in my car on the way home from the hospital. He was so confident and secure, even though cancer threatens his mortality. I would have never been able to enjoy that if I had not been willing to leave what I was doing to go and be with him and his family during this time.

There have been other times when I have been able to help counsel families or help the grieving over the loss of a son. In every circumstance, by God’s mercy, I served someone’s needs and received joy in the process. These acts of service not only glorify my King Jesus, but also help me not to loose heart.

4. In every moment, pray! (Luke 18:1-8)

And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.”

At the beginning of this year I had a goal of praying continuously. I wanted to commune with God in every moment of my day. I wanted to have the sweet fellowship that Enoch had with him. I wanted to be able to grow in my affections for God and his wonderfulness. When I was praying with this kind of intensity, no matter how difficult or restraining my life got, I did not grow weary. I was so amazed by it, that I made a mental note of how God was so sustaining me through prayer.
Needless to say, my mental sticky note was lost and I began to cease from praying as often and with as much intensity as before. In doing so I became weary. Just as Jesus explains in this parable of the persistent widow, God hears the cry of the righteous and will not delay long over them. Being in constant prayer keeps you continually communing with your sovereign God who hears you and acts on your behalf. The more you commune with God the more your faith increases and your heart waits eagerly for Him. Without a consistent prayer life, the other points are in no effect. Prayer is the glue that holds it all together. Therefore, pray continually and do not lose heart.

5. Eat from the bread of Life! (Matthew 4:4)

"4But he answered, "It is written,"'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. "

Watchman Nee had a wonderful habit that developed into a proverb, "Bible before breakfast." He understood that the need for the soul to be nourished was of far greater value than the mortal body. It is amazing how I have lived as a spiritual anorexic for so long. Not very often have I neglected to feed my stomach day in and day out. But far to many times I have gone without properly feasting on the word of God to the nourishment of my soul. If you do not eat you will faint and grow weary. Your body will wither and eventually shut down. So be your soul if you do not continually feed it the bread of life and refresh it from the fountain of living water. Your quiet time is your feeding time. Imagine how sweet our commune with God would be and our display of his glory to the lost, if we feasted on Him as much as we eat in this world. It would be amazing!

There are so many other scriptures that better explain the truths I am pointing to here. But, these are the ones that have been given to me in my meditation and pursuit of joy. I hope these help anyone who reads this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jason,

    Great posts and reflections. Your recent post made me think about my roommate in Washington, DC, who had a rule: no exercise, no dinner. Every evening, his criteria for eating dinner was whether or not had worked out. If not, he'd go to bed without a meal.

    The quote you cite is similar. Perhaps a person can pledge (without being legalistic) to forego real food until s/he has feasted on the Bread of Life each morning. I am going to try that for the next few days. No Word, no Wheaties!

    Imagine getting to lunch time with your stomach growling. What a clear reminder that our need to commune with God is far greater than our desire to consume the physical fruits of the earth.

    Thanks for the idea/inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Andy. I know for a fact that when I spend time with God before I start me day, I am better prepared to handle the upcoming circumstances. Many times I choose to sleep a few minutes longer or think of frivolous things instead of pray and feast. I do this to my demise. Please keep reminding me and praying for me to eat at the buffet of God's word. Be good and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% agree with you about the points that you have given. Erskin always reminds the youths to feed your soul before you feed your mouth. These are great reminders before we start the day. Also when I feed my soul first I have the armor of God's Word on and ready to tackle the world, but when I don't feed my soul first I am loosing my protection. Prayer is the same way. When I miss my prayer time I feel disconnected towards God.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete