Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Running On Faith



On June 29, 2008, I ran my first 5k in Colona, IL; “The 2nd Annual Hennepin Hustle.” The run consisted of a flat 3.1 mile trek around a beautiful canal full of greenery and birds singing their morning song. My wife, children, and mother-in-law were awaiting me at the finish line. My brother-in-law Andy was there as well by phone congratulating me and telling me he was proud of my accomplishment. My father-in-law was gracious enough to get up early and ride with me to the race and participate by walking. I had a tremendous amount of support there to encourage me to run and finish. It was a very beautiful moment for me. A moment I will always cherish.


It was also the first step in my life long goal to run a marathon. It has not been easy getting to this point and I still have a long road ahead of me. When I began the process of really making this a reality, which started last July, I was extremely over weight and well out of shape. When I moved to Texas in July of 2006, I was at the heaviest I had ever been; 310 pounds. On my 5’10 frame, this was the makings of a heart attack or stroke.


In May of 2007, I turned 30 years old. Realizing that if I did not change my ways soon that I would not live to be around to turn gray and outspoken with my wife, and possibly see the legacy that God would build of radical Christ loving children; I knew I had to start doing something. So I began to run. I live next to a cemetery (divine irony and very fitting) that is semi paved with a quarter mile track. I started slow and would run one minute and walk two minutes. I did that off and on for several weeks until I was ready to be more aggressive. As God provided a teaching and coaching job for me in July, my workout teetered a bit, but I remained faithful to run as much as I could.


In January of 2008, I realized I needed an immediate goal. The marathon was obviously a long way off. I needed something I could accomplish now. So I set a goal to run a 5k and finish the race in under 40 minutes. And I wanted to do it by my thirty first birthday. I increased my workouts and watched my diet. By this time my weight was down to about 285 pounds and I was able to exercise for 30-40 minutes straight. By the time May 24th rolled around I was running 2 miles straight at a 12 minute mile pace. Unfortunately, the Friday before I was to run my first 5k, I hurt my neck badly and was not able to run. I was doing push-ups with my 7th grade athletics class and something popped in my neck. I was out the entire Memorial Day weekend. This was not the first set back I had to deal with.


When I began this process ( in 2006) I had to overcome several obstacles. First, I had a severe staff infection all over my body. The infection produced sores that would inflame at times and a rash that burned in my groin area. God allowed that to continue for 9 months. After that went away my back continually went out of alignment and caused a lot of pain while I ran. There were times when my knees hurt so bad I could barely lift them up the three steps to get onto my porch. I had to overcome a great deal of spiritual and mental fatigue as well. There were days when my mind could not wrap itself around the idea of running three miles at a time and would be discouraged and distracted. Also, my soul would grow weary. It is amazing how many different voices will preach to my soul telling me to give up or that I would fail just as I have in the past. Over and over I would hear this as I am trying to run. It was at that time I pleaded with God to only hear His voice, the voice of truth. The voice of faithfulness. A lesson I have learned from all of this is that God is faithful.


The first day I went out to run the quarter mile track around cemetery, I remember praying to God a very deep hearted but simple prayer; please do not kill me while I run. Please let my heart continue to beat properly and the blood to get where it needs to go without any problems. This is a prayer I continue to pray today. Every time I run it is a testimony of Gods faithfulness. It is by His grace that I have the air to breathe and lungs that are healthy enough to use it. It is by His mercy that my legs work well enough to run for any length of time. It is only by His patience that I have not died in my gluttony; which is a sin. God is faithful. And He will be faithful according to all he desires for me.

Just as God had been faithful in the past runs, God was faithful on June 29th. God woke me up at 4:20am to spend time with Him in His word and in prayer. He warned me of how my pride could swell up and try to suffocate my soul from God’s life giving word if I try to run on my own strength. He showed me that in (1 Chronicles 21: 1-22:19). He also showed me in Acts 9 how the Apostle Paul was called to be a chosen vessel to suffer for God’s name sake and that I may be called to suffer for His name’s sake as well. And just as God was faithful with the Apostle Paul He will be faithful with me; and this race is proof.


God allowed my father-in-law and I to safely arrive at the race and hour early which allowed us to visit and fellowship. The race began at 8am and God was there with me leading the way. God was faithful to encourage me when I grew tired and wanted to quite. He did this by allowing me to run a 10:30 mile, the fastest I have run since I started. God was faithful to humble me with a stitch in my side that slowed me down by about 4 minutes and let two people pass me. For my attitude was getting haughty and I might have made the same mistake King David did in Chronicles. God was good to allow me to see this work and worship him in it. God was faithful to carry me the last half mile by allowing my wife and children to arrive at the race safely to encourage me to finish strong. God was faithful to allow me to finish in a time of 36:30; under the 40 minute goal I had set previously.

Running has become a time of worship for me. There are times in my life when I am blinded either by sin or suffering or circumstances from the faithfulness of God. In running, this is not the case. Every time I run I see God being faithful. The very fact that I finish and walk into the house is a testimony in and of itself. However, God, through running, has moved me to pray more fervently and sing more vigorously praises to His name. There are times when my physical exhaustion is likened to my spiritual exhaustion, and when the two meet I am forced to plead with God for strength. Many times God shows me my sin while I mediate during the run and corrects me with his word. Most times, He captures me with His beauty in a morning sun rise and His gentle touch by a cool breeze on a warm night. Often I hear His creation praising Him through the wrestling of the leaves in the trees and the singing of birds in the fields of hay settled along the road.

God has shown Himself glorious to me in running. I pray that He continues to move me to run and worship Him in it. Lord willing, I hope to run a few more 5k’s before moving onto a 10k. After the 10k I hope to prepare for half marathon and then a full marathon. My goal is the qualify for the Boston Marathon. If God is wiling, I hope to fulfill this before I turn 40 years old. God only knows and by His grace I hope to magnify Him in this work. Until then, please pray for me to be faithful and continue in the work. I know I have hard road ahead of me. However, I know I serve a God who is faithful.

5 comments:

  1. Jason - Keep running! It IS a spiritual discipline:

    1 Corinthians 9:24-27
    24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

    In many ways, running can be a great way to remind our bodies that they are not in charge - our spiritual nature is in control (in submission to Christ, of course).

    As I said on the phone, I am proud of your pursuit. I think the best part for me was overhearing Naomi yell, "Daddy, daddy, daddy, go daddy, yeah daddy!" That was priceless.

    I also know that God was looking upon you and saying, "Jason, you are my beloved and I am pleased with the way you are striving to run the race - not just the physical race that you have completed, but the spiritual one where I stand at the finish line."

    Be well...and keep running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy. Your words are very encouraging. I know I will come back and read this several times, especailly when I do not feel like running when I should be. I also appreciate the scripture.

    It reminds me that far to long have I let my body beat me and I have submitted to it. Now I must whip it into submission for God's glory and my joy.

    It has taken a long time to go a short distance. I know have a hard road ahead. Please continue to pray for my will conform and my body to transform. Thanks again brother. Be good and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job man on the 5k some people at work also have tried to get me to run those crazy things. I found your website to be inspiring for us round guys and insightful to your inner thoughts. Keep up the good work man.

    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the race! Hard work pays off! How wonderful it would be to run a marathon. I loved the end of your post, you're dreaming the impossible to God's glory! I loved it and it's inspiring to me. Keep running the race which we cannot see with our eyes.

    Living4Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Brent and Haddi. I am encouraged By your comments. I hope all is going well for you. be good and God bless.

    ReplyDelete