Friday, June 20, 2008

Filled To The Brim: Gods Glorification or Self Gratification



An indicator of my satisfaction in Christ is seen best when my cup (my heart) is frustratingly bumped. What spills over shows what I’m satisfied in; Gods glorification or my self gratification. If bitterness is the overflow in my frustration, then I am feasting on my own glory. I am feeding the endless appetite of my own ego with the stale leftovers of self significance.


However, if love for mercy and passion for forgiveness eagerly spring forth; and a sweet enjoyment of Gods sovereignty in the moment, regardless or my circumstance, erupts out of my heart like a dam that is overcome by the pressing water; then I know I am filled with the Spirit of God. I am feasting on His glory and enjoying Him in the fellowship of His Son Jesus.


The Fruit of Both of These Are Significant.


The root of self gratification is vanity. Vanity is the belief that indulging in yourself is more gratifying, more pleasurable, and more satisfying than God. It is a pursuit of "self-seeking"( self interest, self glory, self pleasure, self-gain, etc.) This is blasphemy and very deadly. This is deadly because it is rooted in unbelief; namely that God is not our all in all. Paul warns of self indulgence's deadliness in 1 Timothy 5:6 “ but she who is self-indulgent is dead even while she lives.” Jesus warned the Pharisees of their self-indulgence in Matthew 23:25. In verse 27 he said they “…are full of dead people’s bones and all uncleanness.” A life of self-indulgence is a dead life. And when your cup is pushed, deadness is what pours out of it. The world sees this on a regular bases and is unimpressed. A cup full of deadness is a dime a dozen and not worth even a sip.


The fruit of God’s glorification is eternal joy. When God call us to “Taste and see that the Lord is good,” he promises a blessing to the man that trust in Him. That blessing is an absolute and eternal fulfillment in satisfying every dark corner of our vast heart. In Psalm 16:11 we see a glimpse of what awaits us when we empty ourselves and come into the presence of God; “ You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” In His presence we are promised joy and eternal pleasures. All of these pleasures are at the right hand of God. And it is Christ who is seated at His right hand. In Christ "we have the confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21and since we have a great priest over the house of God.”(Hebrews 10:19)


The only way to draw near to God with confidence is through Christ. The only way to Christ is to be empty of yourself. There is no room for self-indulgence in Christ. This is what it means to crucify yourself daily. It is so that you may be filled with more of Christ and less of yourself. In doing so God pours His love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5). The result is His love spilling out of us and onto those who around us; even those who frustratingly bump our cups; intentionally or unintentionally. The world marvels at this and is drawn to drink.


The question I pose to myself and to you is, “What is your cup filled with? Is it Godliness or Godlessness?” If you don't know, watch and see how you react when you are "bumped." Be good and God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is exactly what I needed! Currently I am being "bumped" and it's not portraying God's glorification. I'm letting my ego get in the way and destorying a wonderful relationship with a loved one.

    My cup right now is not overflowing with Godliness. The only thing I need to do is turn to Christ.

    Thank you so much for this lesson. I've also learned something new that I have never thought of before--thanks again!

    Savedbygrace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haddie,

    I know exactly what you mean. Many times I find that my cup is filled with a lot of worldiness over Godliness. That is one reason I thank God for the process of sanctification.

    This blog is a funny thing for me. It seems the more I go public with things I learn or struggle with, the more of those things come up.

    Be good Haddie. Keep the faith and trust that Christ is more desirable than your ego. Bet on your ego disagreeing that.

    With much love for ya sister!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete