Sunday, January 8, 2012

Do you know Him?

By God's grace I have been asked to write a series of devotionals for a ministry that seeks to reach the people of India (We Go India).  I must provide some context, insight, application, and a prayer.  And oh ya, I must keep it under 300 words.  I am finding this incredibly difficult.  I have always heard great writers are able to communicate wonderful truths in small spaces.  Undertaking this opportunity is showing me that I am far from great.  With that said, I have posted my first devotional below.  I would love your feedback and help.  Please read the devotional and let me know what you think, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I appreciate your time and input.  Be good and God bless.


John 7:1-9

For not even His brothers believed Him.”

The “Feast of Booths” was a time when Israel would live in leafy shelters in remembrance of God’s faithfulness to their forefathers in the wilderness at the time of the Exodus.  Many Jews came to celebrate and give thanks to God for the harvest.  This festival would be another great opportunity for Jesus to marvel the crowd with his power and ability; at least that is what his brothers believed.

I believe many in the church today are a lot like Jesus’s brothers.  James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (not Iscariot) (Matt 13:55) knew Jesus very well.  They lived their whole lives in community with him; eating, sleeping, working, playing, etc.  They were aware of his power to perform miracles (v 3-4).  Jesus’s brothers knew he was a great man, but they did not believe he was the promised Messiah.  Jesus affirms this by telling them that they were of the world (v6).

 How many of our churches are filled with people who believe that Jesus was a great man, but not the Son of God?  It is one thing to know about Jesus.  It is something altogether different to be known by him as Lord, Savior, and Treasure.  In the last day Jesus will say to many, “I tell you, I do not know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of evil.” (Luke 13:27)  Many of these people will have spent much of their life in the church, serving with great fervency alongside many of Christ’s true brothers and sisters.  Today I ask you, “Are like Jesus’s brother, or are you his brother?”

Father, I ask that you reveal your Son to me more and more every day.  Lord, I believe, help my unbelief! 

No comments:

Post a Comment